The Mission Chronicle

The Student News Site of Mission High School

The Mission Chronicle

The Mission Chronicle

Good Old Morning Due
Good Old Morning Due
April 25, 2024
How Safe Do You Feel?
April 15, 2024

A New Student’s Story

Julio at 7 years old in Guatemala
Julio at 7 years old in Guatemala

I think that life is hard for everyone, but more for us immigrants. I have met so many immigrants since I have been in this country.

I realize that everyone has a different story. There are people that come to this country without having a single family member here. 

My name is Julio. I am 17 years old and I’m in the 10th grade. I like to play soccer. I’m from Guatemala and I came to the United States when I was 12 years old with my mom. She wanted to come for better opportunities and I didn’t want to be far away from her. We left my grandma, aunts and cousins behind.  

It was hard to move to San Francisco a few weeks ago. I left important parts of my life in Ohio where I spent the last four and a half years. 

Some don’t have the same opportunities that others have when they arrive. I say this because I see it. I know kids at the ages of 16 and 17 who have just arrived and they have to start to work as an adult instead of attending school. Why? 

Well, I know why.  They came here with a one mentality: to earn money to help their family in their home country and they just think about work, work, work and work, day after day, night after night.  

That’s how some of us live here. A big percentage of the immigrants did not even think about going to a school when they arrived. For example my  16-year- old cousin works  to help his family , but I wish he had the same opportunity as me to go to school. 

Some parents can’t let them see the beauty of this country.  They have to have their kids to do dangerous work such as construction. To be honest, I admire those kids because of their courage to do such a big and hard work. 

That’s the one side that most people don’t see.

Here we have the opportunity to go to high school. Sometimes those kids don’t realize that being in school is a privilege. 

While I’m lucky to be able to go to school, I have had my own challenges as an immigrant. Since leaving Guatemala to the US I have had needed  to move several times and leaving friends. 

I understand it is a privilege and I enjoy school with all my heart. I’m glad to be in school and to learn new things. Those things will be helpful in my future.

My friends in Ohio helped me when I struggled. They reminded me to never give up.

My friends showed me that being shy is okay. But I also have to break that wall between me and shyness. They taught me to take advantage of every opportunity that life gives me. I know that I can overcome challenges. I have learned to stay positive and smile.

View Comments (3)
Donate to The Mission Chronicle

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mission High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.