The Mission Chronicle

The Student News Site of Mission High School

The Mission Chronicle

The Mission Chronicle

Prom Q&A
Prom Q&A
May 14, 2024

Put down the phone and breathe

Jhanelly Ramos

In today’s technology-driven world, it’s easy to get caught up in the constant stream of notifications, emails, and social media updates. This is all taking away from the time we could spend on ourselves 

The good news is that taking a break from technology can have a significant impact on your health and wellness. Take a break from the stress of  being on your phone and or t how bad finals are going to be. Instead of stressing, listen to what I have to say. 

I am a 15 year old Mission high student who practices mindfulness whenever I can. For instance when I’m on the bus and everyone is loud, I put on my music and disassociate myself from the world. I focus on my breathing. The next thing you know, I’m already at my bus stop. I’ve seen improvement in the way I handle situations that put me in stress. I detach myself  from reality and bring myself to  tranquility and silence.

Investing  time in yourself can help a lot. You stop thinking about what others have to say and instead listen to what you have to say. 

Instead of feeding yourself negative thoughts, do mindfulness. Mindfulness encourages self-compassion, self-kindness, and self-awareness. It promotes healthy coping mechanisms. Mindfulness can also help teenagers develop a growth mindset and have them approach challenges with greater confidence and resilience. By incorporating mindfulness practices into your daily routine, teenagers can better navigate the challenges of finals and develop valuable life skills.

Mindfulness can help students become more aware of their thoughts and actions, allowing them to manage their time more effectively. Teens can learn to focus on studying or activities that better themselves  instead of wasting that time on something else that isn’t helpful for you or your future.

Mindfulness can help  reduce procrastination by having teens become more aware of their thoughts and emotions. By acknowledging their feelings, students can overcome procrastination and stay focused on their task. 

And mindfulness isn’t only about school, it also can lead to overall improved mental and physical well-being. 

Briana Dulcar, a therapist,said “Mindfulness is a great coping mechanism to get your mind away from stress. This whole generation should practice mindfulness.” 

Chandra Sivakumaran from the Wellness Center said, “I think mindfulness is a great way to stretch your brain and bring peace and clarity to your brain.”

Mindfulness is a type of meditation which allows your feelings and thoughts to come and go without judgment or interruption. You focus on your breathing and release your stress. You are focusing on the present moment and not the past. Mindfulness doesn’t just involve you breathing and staying still. It can include being active and paying attention while cooking, playing sports, walking, cleaning etc.

In conclusion, mindfulness is a great way to keep your mind away from all the negative stuff happening around you. It’s a great way to keep yourself away from the bad things tempting you. It’s not just going to help you out in the long run, but it can help the people around you. You can see life from a different perspective and perhaps in a more positive way.