The Mission Chronicle

The Student News Site of Mission High School

The Mission Chronicle

The Mission Chronicle

Good Old Morning Due
Good Old Morning Due
April 25, 2024
How Safe Do You Feel?
April 15, 2024

With Open Arms

Jasmin Sandoval
Mr. Blevins in room 324

As you knock on the door of a certain classroom, you might be able to hear a certain man’s voice booming through. When he opens the door, he’ll welcome you with open arms.

William Mark Blevins, or Mr. Blevins, as some people may know him, is new to our Mission High community. He teaches 9th grade English and AP Language. In every lesson, he spreads joy and laughter. 

Mr. Blevins always ensures that students understand the lessons completely, providing helping hands. It’s impossible to leave his class without smiling at least once; and when you do smile, it makes your day.

He sees himself as a nature lover. He can speak a little bit of Spanish, and was the lead singer in a so-called rock band. He likes to cook, and he makes a famous Mexican dish called “pozole”.

“I like being adventurous and going out there to see what’s new.”

Mr. Blevins loves doing his job. Spending time with kids and being able to help them learn is something he highly enjoys. This is because he’s preparing them for the future, and giving them tools that they can use in their lives. 

Originally he had been at another school in Kansas City, where he’d taught middle school and had a blast doing so. But he hasn’t always been a teacher. 

He’s also been a prison officer, and a professor. But getting the chance to be a teacher and make great relationships with the kids is where his heart’s at. He’s told me all about the memories he made before coming over here to Mission. He took what he learned at his old jobs and brought it to Mission . 

“If I wasn’t a teacher I would be a hairstylist, or maybe a dancer, perhaps driving a truck.”