The Mission Chronicle

The Student News Site of Mission High School

The Mission Chronicle

The Mission Chronicle

Good Old Morning Due
Good Old Morning Due
April 25, 2024
How Safe Do You Feel?
April 15, 2024

Valentine’s Day at Mission

Naomi Perez Verdeja with goodies on Valentine’s Day (Chalida Anusasananan)

You might ask yourself what was so special about Valentine’s Day. It originated as a Christian feast day honoring a martyr named Valentine.

On Valentine’s Day I believe we celebrate love by bringing joy to those around us. Whether it’s spending time together or handing out little goodies to those we love, we celebrate with smiles on our faces and love inside our hearts. We make memories and for me, get to receive or give love. 

Love, oh love what to say about love? Here’s what Mission had to say.

Ninth grade student Jasmin Sandoval said asking someone to be your Valentine is “like asking someone to go to prom. But regardless I enjoy the Valentine’s Day things. They have the food and the stores are the best.” 

Captain Michelle Marcada from JROTC class said, “Personally, it’s just another day. Another Wednesday…another day for me to love living, and appreciate the people I have in my life. I ain’t about the holiday life unless I get an actual ‘day off.’”

Teacher Mr. Blevins said he was going to spend the day, “staying home watching movies.” 

Ryley Prock, a senior, said that she’s not a fan of Valentine’s Day. “Maybe because I’m  jealous of other people’s posts. I just want people to leave me alone.’’

Junior Isaiah Dantzler said he doesn’t like Valentine’s Day because it isn’t the same as it was in elementary school.  “It’s capitalist money, a cash grab marketing type of thing” and it is not for him.

In the hallways on the first floor we celebrated both Lunar New Year and Valentine’s Day, as members of AAPI passed out small little envelopes, and tables with noodles and rolls  for people who won lucky tickets. JROTC sold bags of chips with candy.

Another thing that Mission High School had for Valentine’s Day were love grams where people made cards for whoever they wanted. Later on, student leadership hand delivered the love grams.

As for me, I don’t really care about the holiday. But I like to celebrate it to give back to those who have shown me love, by going out of my way and buying them presents. It’s a way of showing them how much I care, even though my words speak more than my actions.