The Mission Chronicle

The Student News Site of Mission High School

The Mission Chronicle

The Mission Chronicle

Good Old Morning Due
Good Old Morning Due
April 25, 2024
How Safe Do You Feel?
April 15, 2024

Should phones be taken away?

Axel Tostado

Phones are little technological miracles—pocket-sized encyclopedias, maps, movie screens. They’re everywhere, and Mission High is no exception. While phones can help students relax, they can also create distraction. Students who get stressed during work tend to “check out” for a couple of minutes by scrolling through their phone and escape. But what happens when this scrolling extends longer than just a few minutes? 

Some students may feel stressed out and choose to go on their phones for break. The break can end up becoming the whole period and they finish little classwork. This can sometimes create a divide between teachers and students. 

How can this problem be solved? One idea is now a policy for 9th graders, who must turn in their phones at the beginning of their classes. Either by putting them away in a basket, or giving them to the teacher for the whole class period. 

Ms. Mufti, a 9th grade English teacher, said “I think it’s amazing because students work more, and without their phones at hand, they can finish more assignments.”

While this shows that taking students’ cell phones can be effective if done properly, most students have mixed feelings about these changes. 

“I don’t mind it, I just think you should keep it with you and have a different approach to control phones,” said Sincere Williams-Monroe, 10th grader. 

“It makes me feel unsafe and would not recommend they take them away,” said Gigi Gonzalez, 11th grader. 

Most students at Mission High don’t mind this change, but they would like an alternative to restricting phones rather than just handing them over for every class.

Ms. Soares, Assistant Principal says, “I feel like it’s beneficial for students because it reduces distractions and makes them more productive. Having phones gone helps others to interact with each other. 

But she also claims that turning in phones “causes new sets of problems and students are using other ways to get distracted.”  

Having to hand your phone over as a requirement can make students start to think that school really is a place to learn and be safe. 

On the other hand, students also seem to feel down and not get very excited to learn with their phones away from them. 

“I see kids feel more negatively drained and bored, I also don’t like when people take my things,” said Marina Murillo, 11th grader. 

There seems to be some positive views from teachers, stating that these rules can be beneficial for students and that they reduce distractions from the class. 

“I don’t like it, I thinks it’s bullhonkey,” said Christine Bach, 9th grader.

“I think that teachers should take it away from certain students,” said Anfal Shaie, 9th grader.  

Cell phones provide a lifeline that can be useful in dangerous moments, however they can also cause teens to get distracted. Whether phones should be on hand or taken away seems to still be a contentious topic.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Mission Chronicle

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mission High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.