The Mission Chronicle

The Student News Site of Mission High School

The Mission Chronicle

The Mission Chronicle

Good Old Morning Due
Good Old Morning Due
April 25, 2024
How Safe Do You Feel?
April 15, 2024

Why is fast fashion bad for the world?

Benjamin Isbister

Have you guys ever bought clothes online? Well, let me tell you guys something. If you guys have bought from these following online stores: Shein, Fashion Nova, Temu, Pretty Little Thing, you are buying fast fashion. 

Fast fashion, for example, is when you buy a new dress one week and the week after the same store where you bought that dress last week comes out with a new one. When you see the new dress at the store and you are still wearing the old one, you may feel like it’s out of fashion. So to not feel left out of the trend you go and buy the dress and throw out the other one which is contributing to fast fashion. 

The whole supply behind fast fashion clothing requires the most amount of energy and resources contributing air, water pollution and greenhouse gas emissions. Fast fashion is a big cause of large clean water pollution. Also it degrades the air, water and wildlife habitat. 

Fast fashion doesn’t just affect the environment though. It also affects the workers that are taking a pretty big risk working with all those toxic dyes. The workers that make all those clothes have to take a risk in that dangerous work environment. For what? So they can get paid at a really low wage. 

Some ways to help stop all of this pollution with Fast Fashion are:1) Go to a secondhand store to find some clothes that you may like. 2) You can also organize a clothing swap with friends or at Mission. 3) And if you don’t want to do any of those you can just adopt a new habit of not jumping on fast fashion trends. 

So next time you guys go into a store to keep up with the latest fashion trends, think twice before you contribute to harming the world.